Welcome to the American College of Medical Practice Executives (ACMPE)
Invest in your education, profession, and future by becoming a Certified Medical Practice Executive (CMPE) or by becoming a Fellow in the American College of Medical Practice Executives (FACMPE). According to studies, ACMPE members earn more income in their profession than non-certified members. When seeking employment, ACMPE members have a distinct advantage over non-certified members. Some organizations require ACMPE certification as a minimum requirement for employment consideration. Colleagues, peers, and employers value these credentials.
Earning the CMPE credentials validates and verifies your expertise and experience in medical practice management. The certification process is based on The Body of Knowledge for Medical Practice Management; a direct link to this resource on the MGMA website is www.mgma.com/acmpe-healthcare-management-certification-program.
This valuable link also includes other good MGMA resources, tools and information which reflect the knowledge and skills necessary for success in this fast-paced field.
Fellow status (FACMPE) is the highest level of distinction you can earn in the medical practice management profession. It signifies:
- Superior standards of performance
- Professional competency
- Ongoing personal and professional development in the field
Make 2015 the year you pursue your ACMPE certification or fellowship. As your ACMPE Committee representatives, we want to encourage and support you in your pursuit of certification or fellow status in the ACMPE. It is definitely an education worth pursuing. For additional questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to any of the ACMPE Committee members.
Are you ready for Board Certification?
ACMPE is the certification and fellowship entity of MGMA and has been certifying medical practice executives since 1956.
Board certification is designed for individuals with at least two years of experience in healthcare management. See if you are ready to take the exam by considering these questions:
- Do you have two or more years of ambulatory or other healthcare management experience?
- Do you have at least six months experience as a direct supervisor of people in a healthcare delivery system?
- Have you pursued continuing education in the field of healthcare management in the last year?
- Are you a current MGMA member?
The Body of Knowledge for Medical Practice Management helps to set the standards that preserve the profession’s integrity and promote its growth.
The Body of Knowledge has been reconfigured into six domains (below).
Download ACMPE Flyer for details on each of the domains.
2016 Certification Exams
December 30, 2015 – January 13, 2016
Exam sites can be found online.
How to Register for Computerized Exams
- Exam eligibility - Before registering for the exams, you must be an active participant in the ACMPE program (Your application, application fee and documentation of a minimum of two years' experience in an ambulatory or other healthcare management position and a minimum of six months in a supervisory role must be approved.) For additional information, please read more on how to Get Started.
- Exam registration fees - You can pay your exam registration fees through the MGMA online store or by calling toll-free 877.275.6462, ext. 1888.
- Confirmation of eligibility - Within five business days of paying your exam registration fees, you will receive a Notice to Schedule email. You will receive one Notice to Schedule per exam. This will include your personal user name and password allowing you to make your exam appointment at a designated testing facility.
- Select exam date, time and location - With your user name and password in hand, you must follow the link provided to locate your specific exam site and schedule a date and time to take the exams. Please note that you must book one appointment per exam. If you have registered for both exams, you will need to book two appointments. Exam site hours vary by location. You will be able to choose any available appointment that works for you during the exam window. Please note that exam appointments are made on a first-come, first-served basis, so scheduling early will help ensure the best choice of appointment time and location. Directions to your selected exam site, procedures and other information will be provided to you in an email from our testing vendor, Castle.
About the examinations
- Multiple choice: Fee $165
A 175-item, multiple-choice test taken within three hours and 15 minutes. This exam assesses your on-the-job knowledge of the broad scope of group practice management principles and practices as described in the Body of Knowledge for Medical Practice Management
- Essay: Fee $165
Responses to questions about three real-life practice management situations must be answered in formal essay style within one and a half hours. This exam assesses in-depth knowledge of medical practice management principles and issues, problem-solving and decision-making skills and the ability to communicate in formal writing style.
ACMPE’s certification program is designed to work with your demanding schedule. You can earn Board certification in as few as six months, or you can take more time if needed. Certification is proof that you can provide physicians, medical practices, hospital systems and the healthcare sector with effective leadership that brings financial and organizational success. Pursue certification to:
- Validate your medical practice management knowledge and skills
- Further your professional standing while improving your practice’s performance
- Receive professional recognition as an expert in the management of healthcare delivery
The program is self-paced and designed to meet your needs. Get started today to see the benefits immediately.
Mentors Available for Members Seeking Advancement to CMPE or FACMPE
If interested, please contact the mentors listed below via email. The Body of Knowledge (BOK) for testing and/or fellow paper development includes Business Operations, Financial Management, Human Resource Management, Information Management, Organizational Governance, Patient Care Systems, Quality Management and Risk Management. Mentors will also respond to general fellow questions regarding preparation and process.
More ACMPE information